Thursday, September 16, 2021

Trading a Pair of Oars for Pen and Keyboard

 During the 2018 Baikal Headwaters Expedition, the easiest thing for me to do on any particular morning was to get in the boat. After all, it’s what I want to do on nearly every morning, what I would choose if water, especially new water, was always and everywhere available. The relief I felt on picking up the oars some days was palpable, as if a dark sky had perceptibly brightened or the load on my shoulders had shifted to a more comfortable position.

Since March 2020, however, my opportunities for rowing a boat on a Mongolian river have literally dried up. For consolation, I’ve been telling myself stories, some of which have since found themselves in print.

More than one describes the expedition itself: “Rowing to Baikal” appeared in the fall 2020 issue of The Drake, while “The Messenger from Heaven” was published in Politics/Letters in May 2021.

“The Ocelot and the Caiman,” set on Tsimane Lodge’s Sécure River, appeared in the February–March 2020 issue of Fly Fisherman

“On Safari, Fly Rod in Hand” ran in the summer 2020 issue of Strung and describes my stay at African Waters’ Gassa Camp in Cameroon.

Two stories can be found in Volume 12 of The Flyfish Journal: “The Word for ‘Fish’ in Speyside” in Number 2 (Winter 2021), with some fantastic art by Frederick Stivers; and “On the Way to Dragon Island,” set in Morocco’s Dakhla Bay, in Number 4 (Summer 2021). 

Moving closer to home, “Solace of the Pack”—about my friendship with an athletic gang of Tangier’s feral dogs—appears in the most recent issue of Sport Literate. 

And more work is forthcoming before the end of the year, including another story about the expedition in Litro’s nature issue, along with a novel for children and adults from Green Writers Press . . .  

 

 

 


 


2 comments:

ninemile said...

Good to know you've been doing well. You were my best teacher at UM a long time ago, still remember your passion telling, "I want you to work harder!...." I translated Rick Bass's "The Ninemile Wolves" a long time ago, sold only 3 thousand copies, no others books followed. Take care! Akio Minami

Peter W. Fong said...

Thanks Akio! But don't sell yourself short: translation is difficult and worthy work. And 3000 books sold means at least 3000 readers learned the story of the Ninemile wolves . . .